Fred came over on Sunday, bearing pizza. Feeling satisfied after a good lunch, we laid out our strategy.
First we removed the axles from the transmission at the CV joints. Using the star driver, it was easy. The driver's side axle can be locked with the emergency brake, but on the passenger side I had to wedge my knees against the wheel and hold it with my hands. The important thing is to put a bag over the axle end because it's a greasy mess. You can zip-tie the passenger axle to the spring to keep it out of the way, but the driver's side is impeded by the starter motor. You just have to work around it as you roll the engine out.
I have two hydraulic jacks, as you can see below. We used a furniture dolly and two 2x4s, and brought the jacks up to just take the weight of the engine + transmission.