Saturday, July 10, 2010

Targa Top Restoration

The targa top came from the factory with a pebbly / textured surface, but the one that came with my car was chipped badly.  I decided to sand the texture off and take it down to the fiberglass, then have Rainbow paint it a smooth satin black.  The downside will be fingerprints and potential scratches as I take the top on and off.  I think it will be worth it in the end, modernizing the look in conjunction with painting the rollbar with the body color, rather than go back with the vinyl covering and chrome trim.

Here is the targa top in its original state and after I sanded the texturing off.  The trailing edge of the top has body filler on top of the fiberglass base.  I assume it came this way from the factory, but it could have been done after the fact.  Rainbow will do what they need to do, to get it in shape for painting.


No comments:

Post a Comment