Saturday, September 4, 2010

A fully clean Transmission

Four sessions and around ten hours later, the transmission case is clean enough to eat off.  Compare the pictures here with the one I took when I pulled the transmission off the engine.  It was coated in grime and under the grime was some patchy black paint.  I don't think the paint is factory, so I went all the way down to fresh metal.  I bought two wire bristle wheels at Lowe's and used them in my cordless drill.  This was much more productive than the wire brush I used at the beginning.  I posted a question on the 914EV forum about how I should treat the finished product.  The consensus was to leave it bare or paint it silver metallic, so I sprayed with clear, hoping to avoid any oxidation and to set up a good base for the next time I want to clean.



1 comment:

  1. Sodablasting would polish it up far better than that in about 20 mins. Worth a look next time.

    ReplyDelete