Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Visit to Electro Automotive

I am getting close to the point where I had to order the electric component kits from ElectroAutomotive, so they'll arrive around the same time the car is done at the body shop.

I had a meeting in Los Gatos in the south part of the Bay Area and EA's workshop is in nearby Felton, so I gave them a call to see if I could stop by to talk about the final details of my project and finalize the order.  Mike agreed, so after my meeting I headed over and found his place in a great hilly forested area a few miles from the ocean.

Mike showed me around his workshop, which was frankly spotless.  Operating room machine shop clean.  Shocking!  As we went through each big item in the kit, he showed me the part if he already had it in stock, and explained its history and pros and cons.  After we came to the decision on the DC kit, with 20 6V batteries targeting range over top speed, we deleted a few components that I already have to save a bit of money.  Mike's wife Shari then hit the spreadsheet and presented me with my grand total.  I agreed to arrange for an electronic check for half of the amount as soon as I got home, with the other half coming in about a month after I sold some stock.

They explained that the parts for the kit should all be ordered and received in about 6 weeks.  I will drive my pickup up to their place on a Saturday afternoon and we'll load up everything for the drive home.

I tried to take a picture to prove how clean the shop is, but the battery on my Droid gave out, sorry!

All in all it was a great visit with Mike and Shari, and now I'm committed to the kit and making the car a reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment