Saturday, July 2, 2011

My Last Shipment from Electro Auto?

Today is July 2, 2011 and I think I just got my last shipment from Electro Automotive!  Well I am actually waiting for two final things but I don't know that I'll ever get them.


The final part I am waiting for is the pair of engine cover hold-down pins, but I don't intend to use them so I don't care if they don't show up.

Now, the real final, final part I'm waiting for is the "Motor Field Bus Bar", a copper bar wrapped in heat shrink tubing that mounts between two of the studs on the electric motor.  This part is not specifically called out on the parts list on the invoice, but as I was wiring up the motor I discovered it was missing.  I emailed Shari about the missing part on May 3, almost 2 months ago.  To my utter lack of surprise, I didn't even get a response.  If it shows up before I need to energize the motor, great.  Otherwise I'll build one myself out of copper bars.

I feel a great weight lifted off my shoulders, that I'm no longer subject to the whims of EAs finances, staff or suppliers.  Woo hoo!  To paraphrase Obi-Wan Kenobi: "I felt a great awakening in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in joy and were seen driving their electric cars. I believe something wonderful has happened."

2 comments:

  1. Hi mike,
    My name is Richard EValbum/3517 914 EV Blues.
    Congratulations on getting all of your parts!
    Consider using LiFePho batteries for your conversion. My car is a daily driver that has a top speed of 102MPH nad I can go 80 miles at 70-75 MPH. If I was to drive at 55 I could go 100 miles! With lead acid batteries your car will drive like a boat and be lucky to get 35 miles. It's alot of money for LiFePho batteries but the difference is night and day. I was in the Refuel event at Laguna Seca on June 26th and there was another 914 using lead acid. I live in San Diego CA and am a member of a group called the "Kick Gas Club" The lead acid guys are always having to worry about where they will get their next charge.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard, I'm up to January 2011 on the EVTV videos with jack Rickard and Brian Noto. They've definitely convinced me that LiFePo is the way to go, and that will be the design basis of Version 2.0 of my car. I'm desperately trying to finish Version 1.0 of the car, based on Lead-Acid. I do understand the distance, maintenance, weight and size issues with lead, but the cost, availability and risks in ordering the Lithiums is not quite where I need it to be today. My goal is to be running V2.0 in 1.0 - 1.5 years from "first roll" of the car on lead.

    ReplyDelete