Sunday, November 27, 2011

Battery Box Vent and Windshield Washer Redux

The EA plans for the mid pack battery box exhaust call for drilling a big hole in the passenger-side front wheel well.  I've been dreading making that hole and now that I'm at the end of the project I need to do something to get rid of the hydrogen generated during charging.  The position of the hose and hole drove me to get rid of the original windshield washer tank and install a small tank on the back of the mid battery pack.

Today I had an epiphany.  I was down under the car and noticed a large hole in the bottom of the body right below where the gas tank used to be.  The hole actually opens into a protected area where the steering rack lives.

I started by running an exhaust tube from the battery pack's fan port down to the hole.


I anchored the bottom of the tube to the brake line.  Not the cleanest thing in the world, but will suffice for our needs.  I have the leftover tube mount bracket so I'll see if it's viable next time I get a chance.



This gave me the room I needed to mount the original windshield washer fluid tank back in its home, and run the output tube to the new electric washer pump.



And the beauty is I got windshield fluid squirting out both jets the first time I tried it!  This meant that the replacement 924 electric actuator lever and new electric pump worked just as I planned.  I'm happy I was able to ditch the ugly but functional fluid tank and go back to the original.

Even though the tank cap looks like it's in a low position, I was able to get a lot of fluid into the tank.  I don't plan on sealing up the hole for the spare-tire-pressure-hose, as it will act as a pressure equalizer.