Monday, December 26, 2011

Rear Bumper

The rear bumper is made up of three parts.  The top is a hard rubber trim piece, the middle is the chrome bumper itself, and the bottom is a metal trim piece.  Each came with its own set of problems.

The rubber piece was oversprayed in silver paint from the terrible paint job done on the car at some point.  I worked on that with wet-dry sandpaper for hours until I got it all off.  Then I worked through my wet-dry paper finishing up with 2000 grit to make it as shiny and smooth as possible.  It actually came out looking pretty good, and soaked up a bunch of "Back to Black" rubber conditioner.

The bumper took a good cleaning and then some work chrome polish to bring it back to life.  It looks fantastic!

The lower trim piece is a writeoff.  It is damaged and bent in several places and frankly I like the look of the back of the car without it.  In the future if I decided I can't live without it, I'll either buy a replica or try to fix this one up and bolt it onto the bottom of the bumper.

You can barely see I installed the rear trunk key latch, after cleaning everything really well.


No comments:

Post a Comment