Sunday, September 18, 2011

Transmission Fluid Fill

It's so close to the end of the project I can just smell it.  It's been a year and I just want it to be over so I can get it on the road.  One easy step is to fill up the transmission.  This will be one of the three fluids on the car, including the brake fluid and the windshield washer fluid.

The fluid was drained when I did the cleaning, so there was nothing left inside.  First I removed the upper fluid plug with a 17mm hex key on a 1/2" drive socket I got from AutoZone.



EA includes 3 quarts of Royal Purple transmission fluid, so I'm not going to second-guess them on this.  I found a great fluid filler at AutoZone, with a flexible hose, on/off twist valve and funnel.

I was able to stick it through the passenger-side saddlebag battery rack and into the top filler hole.


The Haynes manual says the transmission takes 2.5 litres of fluid, so I filled it exactly to that level.  Nothing dribbled out, so I stuck the tip of my finger into the hole and felt the fluid was right up to the level of the hole.  I put the plug back in with a decent tightness.  The online forums all say that the plug can get so tight that you have to heat the transmission case up to red-hot just to get the plug out, so I was careful not to overtighten it.

No comments:

Post a Comment